ABOUT THE BOOK
People often are uncertain or even afraid of new technologies, including historical examples of railways, automobiles, electricity, etc. Today many people are afraid of GMOs, even though this technology offers numerous advantages that have been well established by the scientific community. Unfortunately half of the world’s farmers and consumers are prohibited from any contact with modern GMO varieties and therefore unable to judge for themselves about their usefulness. We believe that as long as ordinary people are denied the opportunity to personally experience the plethora of GMO products already developed and occasionally available on market shelves – but not labeled as GMOs – no progress will be made. This ‘YES TO GMOs’ book is a contribution hoping to break this stalemate so that objective assessment and acceptance of GMOs will prevail, to the benefit of both US and THE ENVIRONMENT.
GMOs are here to stay. Debate about them usually revolves around pesticides, corn or soybean, patenting and, of course, multinationals. Most of the discussion is actually about events in plant breeding that happened more than two decades ago, as if none of the more recent achievements existed. This publication is an attempt to provide a brief but thorough insight into GMOs from the perspective of scientists. It describes various interesting traits that have been bred into crops and domestic animals in recent decades. Few people have even heard about them. In addition, a number of the more prominent scare stories are examined and a brief vision of future prospects is given. It’s time to embrace knowledge, not fear.
- How GMOs are spreading throughout the world
- How genetics protects plants against pests, fungal and bacterial diseases and viruses
- What is an enviropig and why bulls need no horns
- How plants can become frost resistant and need less fertilizer
- How plants and animals could become living drug producers
- Why any housewife would like to keep health promoting carrots, onions or tomatoes in her garden
- How allergies on food can be a thing of the past and
- How the president of Slovenia could »illuminate« his goldfish.
We also explain:
- Why all these wonderful achievements are kept well hidden from you.